It’s true that for most people, life has its fair share of ups and downs, and maintaining a positive attitude in the face of adversity can be quite the challenge. It’s not all about being annoyingly perky & positive, it’s ok to be realistic about the troubles life throws at you, however, you can still keep positive and not descend into depression or sit crying about the things that are happening. With just a dash of gratitude and a sprinkle of mindfulness, you can weather any storm that comes your way. In this article, we’ll explore some practical tips on how you can sustain a positive attitude when life throws its curveballs.
Count Your Blessings:
- Take a moment each day to reflect on the positive aspects of your life. In the grand tapestry of existence, there are always threads of joy, no matter how small. Whether it’s a good cup of tea, a friendly chat, or the comfort of a cosy blanket, acknowledging and appreciating these small blessings can shift your focus from adversity to gratitude.
- Grab a notebook, and at either the start or the end of each day, whichever suits you best, jot down 3-5 things you’re thankful for. It could be a compliment you received, a beautiful sunset, or even a moment of personal growth. The act of expressing gratitude on paper reinforces the positive aspects of your day, fostering a mindset that seeks out the good in every situation.
- You can’t use the same ones every day, that’s cheating, however, it can be small such as I’m grateful it’s not raining or I’m grateful I’m loved. It may feel that you have to think harder about what you’re grateful for but that’s fine.
Regularly read back over the things you’ve written down, it really shows you how much goodness is in your life!
Jars of Joy
Do the same as above but write the things you’re grateful for on a slip of paper & pop them in a jar or box, then at the end of the week or the month, open the jar of box and count those things you’re grateful for, you’ll be pleasantly surprised!
Once your mind gets used to looking for the positives, it will become automatic that you default to things to be grateful for instead of things to be miserable or angry about.
- Mindfulness is about being present in the moment, fully aware and accepting of your thoughts and feelings without judgement. Incorporating mindfulness meditation into your routine can help ground you in times of adversity. Find a quiet space, focus on your breath, and let the worries of the world fade away. Mindfulness not only reduces stress but also cultivates a positive outlook on life.
By focusing on something other than your adversity for even 5 minutes, will allow your mind & body to relax, your vibration to rise & you’ll feel much happier. The more frequently you do this the more your mind will move away from feeling sad or worried about the things going on in your life. Worrying doesn’t change anything, it just wrecks the good moments you do have.
Surround Yourself with Positivity:
- Your environment plays a crucial role in shaping your mindset. Surround yourself with positive influences – be it uplifting books, motivational quotes, or supportive friends. Engage in activities that bring you joy and encourage a positive atmosphere. A stroll in the park, a good laugh with friends, or indulging in a favourite hobby can work wonders for your mood. Avoid the news or people who want to focus on all things negative.
Learn and Grow from Adversity:
- Adversity often comes with valuable lessons. Instead of viewing challenges as insurmountable obstacles, see them as opportunities for growth. Reflect on how you’ve overcome difficulties in the past and recognize your resilience. Every setback is a chance to learn, adapt, and emerge stronger.
Cultivate a Positive Inner Dialogue:
- Your internal dialogue has a powerful impact on your attitude. Challenge negative thoughts and replace them with positive affirmations. Be kind to yourself and acknowledge your achievements, no matter how small. Cultivating a positive inner dialogue can shift your mindset from self-doubt to self-empowerment.
Maintaining a positive attitude in the face of adversity is a journey, not a destination. By incorporating gratitude practices and mindfulness into your daily life, you can cultivate a mindset that thrives even in challenging times. Remember, amidst life’s storms, there’s always a silver lining – you just need to look for it. Here’s to a positive and resilient you!
If you’d like help to bring any of these into your life, get in touch as I offer a range of workshops such as meditation or masterclasses on journaling & gratitude work. Also take a look at some of my other blogs.
#coachingwithtracyfancepsychiccoach #adversity #overcomingadversity #depression #positivity